As humans, we are acutely aware and sensitive to sound. From our time in the womb, our sense of hearing has developed to be one of our most important and instinctive tools. We experience sounds at various levels within our body — from our ears even to the surface of our skin.
The subtle vibrational pressure created by sound conducts energy in the cells of our body, which are largely made up of water. Sound moves at a rate almost four times faster than air — creating a frequency that can be sensed at the most subtle levels of the body. This interaction provides an ideal environment for recovery of the mind and relaxation of the body.
How does audio therapy work?
Our cell membranes have receptors called cilium, which are hair-like structures that resemble antennas. According to the Foundation for Alternative and Integrative Medicine (FAIM), at one time, it was believed that cell physiology could only be impacted by physical molecules.
However, research has shown that the cilium responds to vibrational energy fields like light, sound and even radio frequencies — also having a potential impact on cell physiology. This means that stimulation of the cilium will send a cellular response transmitting information about the health of the cell, activating a healthy signal in the body.
Brainwave Audio Therapy
- When we sit down to meditate or allow ourselves to do something we find relaxing, this relaxed state allows the brain settle into an alpha state. This is a reaction of calm stimulation in the mind, and a response of release in the body.
- When we experience a deep and dreamless sleep, fully detached from the world, this is when our brain is in a delta state.
- On the opposing end, when we’re at work actively problem solving and managing tasks throughout the day, our brain is operating in a beta state.
- Finally, when we experience a burst of inspiration, creativity and achieve the impossible, it’s usually associated with the gamma state.
Brainwave entrainment is a method that is used to stimulate the brain into entering one of these specific states of consciousness. The 20-60 minute sessions of energy tones, and pulsing sound vibrate at a similar frequency to the brain to help us align with the given rhythmic stimuli. This is the process of allowing the mind and body to experience resonance.
Physical and Psychological Effects of Audio Therapy
Some research points:
- A study that used a combination of theta and delta frequencies and another study that used progressive slowing from alpha to 10 minutes of delta found significant reductions in anxiety.
- Alpha also appeared to relieve pain and improve personal competence.
- Beta appears to improve attention, overall intelligence, short-term stress, headaches, excessive behavior problems and to relieve emotional exhaustion.
- Alpha and Beta together improved verbal skills, social adaptability, and attention span.
- Gamma stimulation helped with arithmetic skills in children with learning disabilities and symptoms of ADHD.
Therapeutic uses of sound such as Brainwave entrainment have profound physical and psychological effects on cell physiology and our mental and physical well-being.
There’s an abundance of research supporting the incredible work audio therapy can do for our bodies. In such a busy over-stimulated world, this could be a significant tool in helping you relax, heal, and enjoy your life.
Listen to our conversation with the owner of iAwake Technologies, John Dupuy:
- Immerse Yourself in Delta Sleep Waves
- iAwake Meditation Technology
- The Illuminating Benefits of Gamma Brain Waves
Brainwave entrainment represents a way of using technology to take your meditation and your spiritual practices into territory that has previously been very difficult.
Dr Juan Acost-Urquidi, PhD, QEEGT reports back to the iAwake team about his QEEG findings. He tested 4 subjects who listen to Profound Meditation 3.0 Tier 2, Track 2:
PROFOUND MEDITATION PROGRAM 3.0
Full Spectrum | Profound Meditation 3.0 is a progressive training program that guides you into the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available to you, one stage at at time. Put an end to the feeling of constant distraction — cultivate laser-like focus into your thinking and deep energetic presence into your daily life.
You don't need to be a Himalayan monk to experience the profound benefits of meditation. Simply put on your headphones, press play, sit quietly, breathe, and listen.