“Almost everything has changed about our world in the last 10,000 years, except our basic physiology. We are earth animals… We have forgotten what we need to be healthy.” – Dr. Rachel Carlton Abrams
True mindfulness requires us to notice our surroundings and intimately experience the details of the present moment, starting with our body.
Thousands of years ago, human beings needed to be deeply aware of their environment and in touch with their senses. In fact, this primal intuition is what helped us navigate the complexities of nature, allowing us to survive and evolve as a species.
In today’s world we have constant access to food, protection from the elements of nature, and a revolutionized way to communicate with each other — our ancestors would be impressed!
So if we have everything we need to survive, why do so many of us feel so tired, scared, depressed, and unsatisfied with life?
A crucial component to this answer can be understood in what this week’s guest describes as “body intelligence” — an intuitive sense of what we truly need to be healthy, happy, and fully connected to the human experience.
In this fascinating conversation, integrative medicine expert Dr. Rachel helps us understand and harness the potential of body wisdom as our “sixth sense.”
Dr. Rachel Carlton Abrams is an award winning doctor and the owner of the Santa Cruz Integrative Medicine Clinic. She is also the author of several books on holistic health, relationships, and sexuality.
As a board-certified primary care doctor, family practice physician, and integrative health expert with over two decades of experience in comprehensive medicine, Dr. Rachel’s remarkable understanding of what it means to be human is presented to us through her latest work BodyWise: Discovering Your Body’s Intelligence for Lifelong Health and Healing.
Body wisdom is an intuition that we possess as humans, but have somehow lost touch with as we have evolved into a state of comfort and artificial stimulation.
Body Wise is a toolbox of discovery and an illuminating journey that explores the lost art of body intelligence.
Albert Einstein once said that our intuition is our most valuable asset, and one of our most unused senses. By tuning in to our innate ability to become body wise, we are granted access to the dynamic, exciting, balanced, and healthy life that we humans are meant to live.
In this podcast you will learn:
- The 5 fundamentals of health.
- The ancient meaning of body intelligence.
- How to notice when something in your life needs to change.
- Learning how to be sensitive to have a more enjoyable life.
- The meaning and science of “heart thinking”
- Why finding purpose begins with listening to your body.
- How to develop your own body intelligence.
- TEDx Santa Cruz: (R)evolutionary Medicine with Rachel Abrams, MD
- mindbodygreen: 7 Ways To Predict The Future Using Your Body's Subtle Signs by Rachel Abrams
- ThriveGlobal: 5 Health Resolutions I Wish People Would Make by Rachel Abrams
- SantaCruzSentinel: In her new book, Dr. Rachel Carlton Abrams champions listening to what your body tells you by Wallace Baine
The Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine (AIHM): aihm.orgThe Institute for Functional Medicine: functionalmedicine.org